The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Fleet Mechanic opportunity, you will be at least 21 years of age and have:
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a diesel mechanic
- The ability to work on International trucks and Sprinter vans
- The ability to work on trailers with hydraulic lift gates
- A Class A commercial driver's license (CDL) or a permit for one by your start date
- A state inspector's license or the ability to obtain one within 180 days of hire
- Your own set of mechanic tools
- An insurable driving record and the ability to pass a background check and drug screen
- A good work ethic and the ability to manage yourself and work with minimal supervision
- A desire and ability to grow in the role
- ASE and/or certifications are preferred but not required
- Good diagnostic abilities are a plus
Your WorkNote: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Here in Richmond we run a 2-bay shop and you'll join a team that includes a Foreman and three other Mechanics. You will perform diagnostic and repair work, including scheduled preventative maintenance and necessary repairs to automobiles, trucks (light, medium, and heavy commercial/DOT-regulated vehicles), vans and forklifts. Success will require you to be self-motivated and able to work independently.
More specifically, you will:
- Diagnose failures of vehicles and disassemble, repair and reassemble parts as necessary
- Perform preventative maintenance on vehicles
- Maintain and repair fleet equipment
- Answer road calls
- Perform computer-based diagnostics; interface with modern truck interfaces
- Maintain vehicle records as required
- Fill out all necessary documents
- Maintain records such as daily check list (pre-trip inspection)
- Make basic use of computers (email and web browser)
- Adhere to DOT regulations
More About What We OfferTraining resources
- You'll grow your experience as you work on all types of equipment, from trailers to forklifts, and perform a variety of tasks, from PM to major repairs
- We frequently invite manufacturers' representatives to come in and provide on-site training on key equipment and new features
- We also offer optional online courses
Our Mechanics enjoy working together and we've created a family-like environment. With almost no overtime, you'll have plenty of time to spend with family and other areas of your life.
As a large, nationwide company, we're able to offer almost unlimited opportunities for growth, and we recognize and reward success. Each position has a "Roadmap to Success" showing just what you need to do to advance to the next level or role. In fact, this position is open because the incumbent has moved into sales.
Teamwork and consistency
You'll always work with a partner on your shift, and the two of you will develop a solid relationship and help each other out. The Foreman overlaps both shifts to make sure everyone has what they need.
Video: Giving back to the community is one of our core values. Tony West, President of the PepsiCo Foundation, shares the company's corporate citizenship vision of Performance with Purpose through employee volunteerism.